The Midwest has been slammed with snow and freezing temperatures. Schools have been closed two days in advance and a lot of businesses have closed up shop for awhile too. The air hurts your face to even walk outside, and the stir crazies have begun to seep in. Moms and dads and anyone with kids, you’re on your own. I’m snowed in with my boyfriend and cat, so I have no one to entertain but myself. So, I’ve put together some ideas for you to burn the day away.
- Do a deep clean. Turn on some music and just dive in. It actually can be fun to start going through stuff and getting rid of it! It’s basically spring cleaning, but instead of wasting your precious spring days, do it now in the winter where you got nothing else going on! And if you want to make some money off of your clothes, shoes, etc. try selling them on Facebook or download the app Poshmark. And don’t limit yourself to just your closet, dive into the kitchen, living room, etc.
- Netflix without feeling guilty. This is my favorite part of this miserable weather: you can’t feel guilty for not going outside. So, get some drinks and snacks and your favorite blanket, and start the binge watching. My favorite shows right now? Good Girls (watched all of Season 1 in two days) and Schitt’s Creek (hilarious and easy to watch). I’m on the hunt for some more good shows though, what would you recommend? Let me know in the comments!
- Workout! You had to have known this was coming. But doing an at-home workout is a great way to get those endorphins flowing after Netflixing for hours. You don’t need any equipment, here are some sample workouts for you:
4. Plan your calendar for the next month. It feels good to be organized. So, pull out a calendar (if you don’t have one, use a piece of paper and a ruler to make one), and start adding everything on there. Here are some things to think about putting on the calendar:
- When your trash and recycling goes out
- Events going on around town (check Facebook for these)
- When you are going on vacation or someone is visiting
- What meals you’ll be having (yes, plan out your meals for the next week or month – add a grocery list to the side of your calendar and look up some good recipes to try)
- Days you’ll be done working early/have off
- Errands you have to run
- Days you’ll go the gym/work out at home
There’s endless possibilities! Think of anything you have going on and put it on the calendar! Get crafty and make it cute.
5. Play board and/or card games. This is assuming you are snowed in with someone else or can invite someone over. Even if it is just one person, there are so many great games you can play with just two people. If you didn’t know this about me, my boyfriend and I strive to have a “bomb-ass game collection” (his words). It’s our top goal as a couple, and we play games all the time. Here are our favorite games when it is just us TWO:
Some (most!) of those games can be played with more than two people. But we normally just have each other, but when we do have more people, here are some of our favorite party games:
- Exploding Kittens
- Family Feud
So, if your friends are willing to brave the weather, host a game night. Make a big pot of chili and have them bring their own drinks. Then break out a game and let the fighting (I mean, fun) begin! 😉
There’s really so much you can do when you’re snowed in. If none of these meet your fancy, maybe there are some books you want to catch up on, new recipes you want to try, or just listen to some podcasts. And my favorite yet to burn some time – write a blog! ;D
Let me know in the comments below what shows you are binge watching and any other good snow day activities!